Just Because I'm a Yogi, Doesn't Mean I Don't Get Angry


I remember one time when I got angry with my Mom and she said, " Where is Mr. Yoga now!" And I replied, " Just because I'm a yogi it doesn't mean I don't get angry." The funny part is that the more I progress on the path the more emotional I have become. I used to be so out of touch with my emotions both good and bad, that I would only notice weeks later sometimes how I felt about something. People I knew, especially woman friends complained that I never talked about how I felt about anything.

Though I denied it, they were right. I was so numb, I barely felt things and I was so mistrustful that I would never share anything personal with anyone even if I was aware of it. Years of yoga, therapy, somatic movement, attempts to practice non-violent communication, meditation and a general desire to bring my actions in line with my heart slowly opened me up till now I often know when I want to smack somebody, when I need a hug, when I want to give one and the myriad other feelings large and small that I go through every day.

 For me, being a yogi means striving to become aware of what is alive inside of me, the good, the bad and the ugly. Witnessing what I go through and trying to treat myself with compassion is a big part of this. And you know what? The more I find the kindness that I need inside me, the more I have available for others. But still, once in awhile, I'm sure I'm going to want to smack somebody ;--) Of course I won't, I'll say, "You know I'm feeling really frustrated right now, since I was so counting things looking a certain way and I'm finding I want to blame you for them being different. Would you mind if just gave you a good smack to get it out of my system?" ;--)

I'd love to hear from you.  Please connect with me on the  Facebook Page and Instagram feed to get more Yoga wisdom, science, style, and fun everyday! And make sure to Subscribe to Everyday Yoga for more great posts like this one delivered to your inbox!
   

No comments :

Post a Comment