Bound Shoulderstand


Expanding My Body Map with Bound Shoulderstand

As you probably guessed I take these photos myself using a timer, so I don't have anyone to tell me that I am a little out of kilter. I learn as I go. One thing I have finally started to do is look around the house and imagine doing yoga poses in different spots and setting up the camera in different interesting ways. This has got me looking more deeply at my house. I am searching for interesting, square, body sized shapes and angles and light.

This new pursuit reminds me of one of the benefits of yoga. Doing the physical asanas gets us thinking about our bodies in new ways. If we are settled and focused we are feeling our bodies indifferently as well. 

This sensory map is worth exploring. Studies have shown that as we get older the map we hold in our heads of our range of motion decreases and once that happens we stop even trying to do things we actually can do. Keeping this map full and expanding, testing its boundaries by working at our edges, helps us to stay young and happy. 

Doing bound variations of poses is an interesting way to experience them as new all over again. But don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

I'd love to hear from you.  Please connect with me on the  Facebook Page and Instagram feed to get more Yoga wisdom, science, style, and fun everyday! And make sure to Subscribe to Everyday Yoga for more great posts like this one delivered to your inbox!
   

No comments :

Post a Comment