Nasal breathing in Yoga

Nasal breathing is a healthy practice.  The wisdom of the yogis is confirmed by medical science.

Nasal breathing is a good way to moderate activity and stay focused on the breath and not push beyond your own endurance level.  It will also dilate your blood vessels and lower your blood pressure and decrease your heart rate.  It is a little known fact that our nasal passages generate nitric oxide which is a vascular dilater.  Simply by breathing through our noses we "sip" this beneficial gas into our bloodstreams.  So as you move through your day you can help yourself to better health just by breathing through your nose!


The Heart of Yoga

At root Yoga is about recognizing the interconnectedness of all things. Every molecule of our bodies was merely stardust millennia ago. Some connections are subtle and ancient like our relationship to the stars. Some are ongoing and appear just below our ability to sense them. Here is a way we are all connected at the heart level through electromagnetic energy.
"Our heart creates the strongest electromagnetic field of our body. It is up to sixty times as strong as the field the brain generates and can be detected up to fifteen feet from the body."  

Think of this the next time you are on a bus, or meeting with your boss or hugging a loved one. Your hearts electromagnetic energy is constantly in contact with everyone around you. It is a beautiful way we are all connected. 

Please connect with me on the Facebook Page or follow us on the new Instagram feed to get more Yoga wisdom, science, style, and fun every day!

Vegan Tip for Controlling Fruit Flies

Ever notice how at the end of the season it seems like fruit flies become more determined to hang on. As a vegan, I always have a supply of fruits and vegetables on hand. September is a great time for harvested veggies but buying from the local farm stand and even the supermarkets this time of year often brings unwanted visitors who ruin the fruit that is left out.

A brilliant solution was offered to me by a friend many years ago and it has made life with fruit flies easier ever since. Find a small jar or two with metal tops and put in something you know fruit flies love. A banana peel or rotten piece of apple or a couple of grapes will do. Then poke a hole or two or three in the tops of the jars and leave it where fruit flies like to congregate. The flies love to come in the jar and are not great at getting out. Once or twice a day you can take them outside and open the lid. Sometimes I blow in the jar to motivate diehards or even pour water in it to wash them out. This cuts down the population to tolerable levels and doesn't hurt the files much either.

If you know someone with a fruit fly problem this could be just the tip they need ;--)

I'd love to hear from you.  Please connect with me on the  Facebook Page and Instagram feed to get more Yoga wisdom, science, style, and fun everyday! And make sure to Subscribe to Everyday Yoga for more great posts like this one delivered to your inbox!
#vegan #vegantip #yogagram #yogateacher #yogatime #yogafarm #yogalover #veggie #veggielover #fruitarian #veggietip #freshfruit #freshfruittip #fruitfly #fruitflysolution

Keeping the Yoga Spirit Alive Outside the Studio this Summer

You and your friends will look stylish around the pool and the barbie and keep the yoga spirit alive outside the studio with these fun and useful items... With temps in the 80's and 90's this past week, we are starting our summer sales just in time.

See these items and more in the Yoga Life Style shop here (psst they are on sale 30% off at the time of this post):
The Yoga Life Style shop has 908 sarongs, OM aprons, mitts and pot holders that will help you enjoy your time outside!

Yoga and The Four Agreements

The goal of yoga is stilling the mind and coming into union with the infinite. Don Miguel is a great Sage who points to ways to right living and how we can achieve it. The Four Agreements is a book that I often supply to various yoga teacher trainings, and if you've never read it, I'm sure you could benefit by taking a look.

I was reading something by an Iyengar teacher recently, who said the postures are only 1% of Yoga. The other 99% is trying in other ways to reach a state of Samadhi or enlightenment. Immersion in the teachings of various traditions can help.
The Four Agreements are:
  1. Be Impeccable with Your Word
  2. Don't Take Anything Personally
  3. Don't Make Assumptions
  4. Always Do Your Best
At Yoga Life Style my goal is to supply my clientele whatever tools they need for their personal path. Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing this great book with you and some of my thoughts on how it relates to yoga! Be sure to subscribe so that you don't miss it. I look forward to reading your comments.
PS: You can purchase the book from my store and follow along right now, right here: Yoga Book - The Four Agreements