A Dream Worth Dreaming


"If we are willing to give up hope that insecurity and pain can be exterminated, then we can have the courage to relax with the groundlessness of our situation. This is the first step on the path."
Pema Chodron - When Things Fall Apart

Photo By Samat K Jain https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamasrepus/

I have been looking at this picture on and off for a few hours now and it has really grown on me. At first I was struck by how forbidding the landscape is. How really awful it would feel to be in this dry and unwelcoming environment. I think in some ways the spiritual path looks like that to me. Being totally truthful, practicing regular self care, feeling all my pain without looking for exits ... sounds sort of boring and uncomfortable. Like the photo in a way. The worst of all possible worlds. But as I have seen it again and again, the texture of the landscape, interesting rock formations and undulations, beautiful tough, little bushes and shrubs keep calling to me. The hiker now looks to me like they are beginning an exciting adventure, not heading into a barren wilderness. I'm guessing that if I could really get comfortable with the idea that I will always be visited by insecurity and pain from time to time, the beauty and richness of this very human situation comes out and replaces or at very least softens the fear and resistance. How amazing it would be to find oneself intrigued and absorbed by whatever comes up good or bad. To be always eager to experience the next unfolding moment. That my friend is a dream worth dreaming.

I'd love to hear from you.  Please connect with me on the  Facebook Page and Instagram feed to get more Yoga wisdom, science, style, and fun everyday! And make sure to Subscribe to Everyday Yoga for more great posts like this one delivered to your inbox!
   

This post is part of a series on:
When Things Fall Apart, Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chodron.

The book is available for purchase here on the website: When Things Fall Apart

No comments :

Post a Comment